Lifestyle || Falling Back In Love With Blogging!


I've been doing this blogging thing for over five years now, and although it has only been a serious hobby in the last 2, it's crazy to see how far I have come from my very first post. Blogging has helped me in so many different ways. On some days blogging was a way for me to escape my life if only for an hour or two, in times that I needed it the most. My blog has seen me through my whole University education from start to finish, as well as capturing many many...many shopping sprees! The last couple of month's have been a little tough for me and as much as I didn't really want to admit to it, I had fallen a little bit out of love with blogging. 

I know that sounds a little dramatic but it's the truth. Being a blogger is a 24/7 job, and like most jobs it can be pretty draining if your feeling uninspired or unmotivated. Since graduating in June 2017, my personal life has been extremely busy. In such a short space of time I have completed 4 internships as well as finding myself a temporary Christmas job that has led into a full time 'temporary' position and applying to as many jobs as I can find in the little free time that I have had. With all that going on, it's left little to no time for me to focus on my hobbies and passions - but most importantly my blog. Don't get me wrong the content I have uploaded since then has been written with all the love and care I normally would have, but I started to get into the rhythm of uploading posts because it was a 'Sunday upload day' rather than because I wanted to. 


Photography
Photography is one of my passions and I enjoy spending the time creating the perfect flat lays and getting the lighting right for product shots, but this was something that was getting rushed and I felt like things were a little sub par to normal. I'm a creative person and like most people, I am my harshest critic and I can be extremely tough on myself when it's just not necessary, plus it added on a lot of pressure at times when it just wasn't needed. This has happened time and time again over the last couple of months where I have set up shoots that I'm not happy with so ended up having a little tantrum and scrapping the images completely. You may have noticed that I haven't actually featured in many of my most recent posts and that's partly to do with the fact my confidence has taken a bit of a dip. Hopefully now I've spoken more openly about my blog with my family I can begin to get them to help me shoot images for posts rather than relying fully on myself - let's just hope and pray they will share my same vision! 


Twitter
I think a lot of my falling out of love with blogging has to do with Twitter. As much as Twitter is probably one of my favourite social media networks, it is also probably one of the worst for my mental health too. I don't see myself as a competitive person, but being on Twitter as much as I have over the last year (running my own account as well as running the GRLPOWR community page), has made me feel a little crappy about my own blog. Why is it that as a human being we have to compare ourselves to others all the time? This is a trait I would really like to have left behind in 2017! I love reading others posts and sharing them on my page, but felt that as much as I was trying to integrate myself within the community, I was still a little bit on the outside.  This is something that only I could change, and I have started doing that over the last couple of weeks by getting more involved with blogger chats again. I have a couple of GRLPOWR hosting slots lined up for the next couple of months too which I always look forward to doing. Recently the blogging community was hit with the whole 'follower bot' situation that really got me thinking about how honest blogging truly is and how much of a numbers game it has become. This is something that can get into your head and it had certainly got into mine which made me think about who I was blogging for. Was I blogging for numbers or for myself?- The latter won that argument! 


2018
So whats next?- I have been making so many plans for 2018 that I'm not ready to share on my blog yet, mainly because a lot of these plans are ideas jotted down in a notebook that will probably never work out or happen, but it's good to have ideas right?! I was at a real low last year and I am determined to make 2018 my best year yet. Blogging is part of that plan and I have so many goals that I have set myself to try, hopefully, to reach it. 

  1. Blog 4 times a month.
  2. Get outside and take advantage of the outdoors as a backdrop!
  3. Write for me.
  4. Feel inspired! 
I'm sorry that this post was a little different to the others, but I just felt that it was something I needed to get out in the open in a hope that I'm not the only one who has been feeling this way about blogging. I can't wait to share my new ideas here, and hopefully begin to create the content I have loved to read and loved to make again! 

Until next time,


12 comments

  1. I love how you've set yourself little goals for this year. Good luck with it all, I can't wait to see more of your content! xx

    http://www.grabyourcamera.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a new blog makeover always works for me whenever i'm falling out of love with blogging x

    Erin Azmir

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear you've been feeling uninspired, I think that this is something all of us go through at times especially when our personal lives get busy. However, it is so important to set ourselves goals just like you have done in such instances to push ourselves out of our comfort zone! Also thank you very much for running the GRLPOWR community, it does so much to help bloggers put themselves out there and of course, the chats are always fab :)

    maria | http://whatismaria.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey lovely, thanks so much for taking time out of your day to leave me such a lovely comment. I agree, setting goals is such a great way to start taking more time for ourselves! No problem at all, I enjoy running GRLPOWR and am so glad you love it!

      xxx

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry to hear you've had a tough year. I know how you feel with the whole blogging becoming a chore thing - it's actually something that I'm hoping to change this year as well! Also, for the record, I think your photography is lovely - I particularly like the first picture. I hope you're able to achieve your goals for this year, good luck. Also, thank you for your support on my last post x

    Alicia | https://www.alifestyleblog.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey lovely, thank you so much for leaving your lovely comment. This year has been tough, but I am determined to make 2018 so much better for me and I hope it's great for you as well! Thanks so much, I work so hard to get my photos looking nice so I love that you like them! xx

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry to hear that you've had a tough year! Social media is so terrible for mental health, and i try to turn on my phone and have all my posts set up for the week before the weekend, so on the weekend I can take a break from social media. It's something I highly recommend. Social media gives me so much anxiety, and I don't know what I would do if I didn't take the two breaks from blogging and social media last year. Good luck with your goals love :) xxx

    Melina | www.ivefoundwaldo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely understand you I felt bit out of blogging due to bloggers drama and unfortunately a Hurricane that left me almost three months without electricity but I'm coming back slowly, I really like your post and your photo from what I'm seeing remember always take care of your mental health first and I do hope that you archives your goals!

    xx
    Michelle| www.brokebutflawless.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely understand how you feel, when I began university back in September, I felt exactly the same; I had little time for my blog and also felt ratter uninspired! It's nice to hear that you're getting back into it though! x

    Han | lifewithhan.blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. 100% understand your feelings! Blogging is such a difficult thing to fit into an already busy schedule but it's definitely worth it xx

    emsirose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is exactly how I felt about blogging, about work and about my photography until recently. There was just so much going on behind the scenes that I was beginning to struggle to stay on top of it all, but stepping back was the best thing I ever did. I'm now working less hours (because they've been cut), which means I have more time to set up my business and write, even if it stresses me out on a Sunday morning haha! x

    www.sheintheknow.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for leaving me a comment. It really makes me smile :) Feel free to leave your URLS also so I can check out your blogs too. Have a lovely day! xox