Lifestyle : Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine book review!


Have you ever read a book and felt like you couldn't relate more to a character if you tried? It's as if somebody has written a whole story about you but given the protagonist a completely different name. These were my feelings when reading this book. Unless you've been living under a rock without wifi or newspaper/magazine coverage, you wouldn't have noticed this book, 'Eleanor Oliphiant is completely fine' taking over the world. Clearly I'm not alone with my thoughts as it's been on the best selling and 'must read' lists for well over two months now, which for a book chart is a long time! 

In all honesty I picked this book up on a whim. I was browsing waterstones' on the hunt for something to read on the train to work to save those extra bars of battery (story of my life), and saw that this book was on the 'book of the week' table. It was also a winner of the Costa first book awards and Sunday Times bestseller, so I knew that there was something interesting about it. Like most things in my life, I was completely drawn in by the quirky title and rose gold writing - I'm a sucker for packaging! As soon as I started to read it I just felt so connected to Eleanor's character and the feelings she goes through on a daily basis. The way Gail Honeyman describes Eleanor's world is somewhat similar to the way I would mine, and as sad as it sounds, much of what Eleanor's character says I can in some way or another relate to. 



From start to finish, Honeyman opens up Eleanor's world page by page unveiling something new in each chapter. All whilst keeping a little secret for the final page. The story challenges the idea of friendship, love and loneliness - something I thing everyone can relate to in one way or another. So let's take a read of the synopsis. 

'Eleanor Oliphant has learned how to survive - but not how to live. Eleanor Oliphant leads a simple life. She wears the same clothes to work every day, eats the same meal deal for lunch every day and buys the same two bottles of vodka to drink every weekend. Eleanor Elephant is happy. Nothing is missing from her carefully timetabled life. Except, sometimes, everything. One simple act of kindness is about to shatter the walls Eleanor has built around herself. Now she must learn how to navigate the world that everyone else seems to take for granted - while searching for the courage to face the dark corners she's avoided all her life. Change can be good. Change can be bad. But surely any change is better than... fine?'

Throughout the book Honeyman uses Eleanor's unique view on life, combined with her hilarious snobbishness, to illustrate the world of somebody navigating a lonely life. Except her life quickly becomes UN-lonely and that brings on it's own challenges. One person who is a constant presence from start to finish is 'Mummy'. Eleanor's life revolves around these weekly phone calls from this judging, manipulative and downright rude parent who thinks that her way is the only way. 




Without spoiling the plot anymore, because personally I think you need to just give it a good ol' read, Eleanor overcomes a lot of the challenges that are presented to her throughout the book. Her battles through anxiety and depression really flag up the world that many people face everyday and Honeyman has used her humour and storytelling to make everyday situations appear more relatable and 'human'. But don't take my word for it, Reese Wetherspoon clearly thinks the same as the world and has purchased the rights to turn the book into a film. So I think we may all be seeing Eleanor's world play out on a screen before we know it. And I for one am very excited to see that happen! 


I would love to know what you think of this book if you've read it! 

Until next time, 












8 comments

  1. Aww I absolutely loved this book too! I did not know it was being made into a film - I can't wait for that :)

    Sammy etc xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book was honestly amazing! Yeah! At the end of the book in the little blurb bit where it gives a brief synopsis an that it mentions that Reece Witherspoon has bought the rights to make it into a film! I'm so excited xx

      Delete
  2. I've been meaning to pick this book up for a while! Great review xx
    http://www.dellalovesnutella.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely! Honestly, I haven't enjoyed a book as much as this in ages xxx

      Delete
  3. I’m currently reading this book! I’m on chapter 31 so I’ve nearly finished it but I’m really enjoying it I don’t want it to end! (I also have the cat print pyjamas photographed in this post - ha ha)

    Molly | www.mollyeez.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I didn't want the book to end either. I couldn't put it down!
      How amazing are the pyjamas though so so comfy!

      xxx

      Delete
  4. This book has been on my TBR list for ages and this review is really selling it to me x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to pick it up and read it! Honestly it won't let you down! xxx

      Delete

Thank-you so much for leaving me a comment. It really makes me smile :) Feel free to leave your URLS also so I can check out your blogs too. Have a lovely day! xox