Living life in the new 'normal'


It still blows my mind how different life has become over the last 2 months. If you had told me this would be the state of the UK back in January I would have called you a liar. The country seems to be all over the place with varying views depending who’s doing the daily update.... let’s not even begin discussing Boris addressing the nation with what could possibly be THE most confusing instructions in the world. It seems when we think things are beginning to feel somewhat normal another change is made that makes the world seem uncertain again. This week has been highlighting World Mental Health Awareness, and I couldn’t think of a better time when it could be needed more. It’s not secret I’ve struggled with my own mental health, but if I’m being open the last few months have been tougher than ever. I’ve been taking certain steps to make sure I’m looking after myself and my MH during this time. 


I’ve made sure to take some time for me as and when it’s needed. This can sometimes be the last thing on your mind especially if you’re feeling anxious but it’s so important. Keeping busy has helped me to focus on something other than the continual negative news we’ve been receiving on a daily basis. I’ve been keeping busy by being creative and using my time on furlough to restart my crafting business. If you’re in need of cake toppers, cards or anything else personalised I’m your gal! Staying connected with family isn’t a new concept, especially with the introduction of Zoom to my life, but it is so important. My wider family and I have been talking on zoom every Sunday as a way to just talk, have a little quiz and to catch up. It’s been so nice to speak with everyone and ironically I feel like we’ve become closer than ever before. Now, for something I could never have thought to read on my blog...exercise!! Yeah I know, I hate myself for saying it too! But exercise has really helped me focus my energy on something positive. I downloaded the BBC couch to 5K app and find it easy to follow and quite enjoyable to do. Take it from someone who could run for less than 20 seconds at the start, the fact I’ve just ran my first 5K after 5 weeks should speak millions! Dare I say I’m actually finding it a little bit enjoyable now?!?! Again, I HATE MYSELF TOO! Finally, keep talking. It’s easy to want to curl up into a shell when times get tough, believe me I've been there, but making sure to keep conversations open with family and friends is so important. Sometimes a quick little 'I'm ok, but would like to spend my day sitting in bed playing Animal Crossing' is enough to get the message across and lets them know you want some time out. I've certainly been using that excuse on more than one occasion! Talking with family/friends also helps you to check in and make sure they're ok too. Times are weird for everyone and people cope in different ways, showing you care can help you feel loved and supported. 

This week I plan on taking some time to reflect on the good things I have learnt and the skills I have gained since lockdown began. Perhaps I will share them in a post soon! For now stay safe and stay positive. 

Until next time, 











4 comments

  1. I have the same color of Switch :D And I love your flower photograph. A good reminder of outside life even in the new normal. I'm glad you've been focused on your crafting skills during this crazy time we're in :) And that doing exercise is also helping. Doing morning walks has been helpful with trying to stay positive!

    Mari | https://i--am--mari.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're doing okay, Francesca! I've definitely been struggling with boredom over this quarantine. That's amazing about being able to run a 5k!! :) My exercising hasn't been great but I've still been working out occasionally!
    https://accordingtoisabellakate.blogspot.com/
    -Izzy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that you're doing ok, getting used to this new normal is really strange, my exercising hasn't been the best but I've been really enjoying nature more when I do go for walks, it's kind of like seeing it all again through fresh eyes.

    Rosy | Sparkles of Light Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it so strange even saying the words 'the new normal'! Life has been flipped totally upside down really, but I completely agree it's so important that we take time for ourselves right now x

    www.itsrebeccaellis.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for leaving me a comment. It really makes me smile :) Feel free to leave your URLS also so I can check out your blogs too. Have a lovely day! xox